• That so many artists get lots of attention that they don't deserve.
• That so many artists don't get lots of attention who do deserve it.
It's that second group – the undiscovered or overlooked gems amid a sea of mediocrity – that I want to focus on here. I will concede, to begin with, that all music is extremely relative. What I love, you may hate. What you adore, I may despise. But this is my blog, and it's not my job to decide what you like, only to share with you what I like.
I should also mention, in case you miss the obvious, that I tend to enjoy listening to female singers more than males. Always have, probably always will. That being said, here are 10 of my favorite "gems", in no particular order...Enjoy!
1) Zee Avi – "Bitter Heart"
2) Lucy Schwartz – "Life In Letters"
4) Maia Hirasawa – "Gothenburg"
5) Meaghan Smith – "I Know"
6) Meiko – "Under My Bed"
7) Priscilla Ahn – "Dream"
8) Corinne Bailey Rae – "Like A Star"
9) Sophie Madeleine – "Take Your Love With Me"
10) Stacy Clark – "Not Enough"