Saturday, February 4, 2012

Things I Don't Say Often Enough

Okay, this is going to be short and sweet. In thinking about the many things I say on a daily basis, I'm struck by the few, albeit crucial things that I don't say nearly enough. So here they are:

1)  I'm Sorry.  I'm often more prone to make excuses for what I've done to wrong someone, or perhaps shift the blame, or even try to justify my actions. But the fact is that sometimes I hurt people, and I just need to say simply and honestly, "I'm sorry."

2)  I Was Wrong.  This one often goes along with "I'm sorry", but is probably harder to say sincerely. For me especially, I don't like to admit when I'm wrong. And yet I'm wrong all the time.

3)  You're Beautiful.  This one's a little more specific to my wife. I always think she's beautiful, even when she doesn't think or feel beautiful herself. But I don't always say what I'm thinking. And I realize that it's in those low moments where she doesn't feel beautiful that I most need to tell her that she is.

4)  I Want To Help.  This one kind of hearkens back to my post of a few weeks ago, but in a more positive vein. Sometimes I'd like to help a friend, or family member, or coworker with something they're dealing with, but I don't want them to feel like I'm judging them, as though they need help. Or sometimes I know I should help them, but unfortunately my selfishness kicks in; because I know that if I offer to help, I'm committing myself to possibly more than I'm actually willing to do. So I hold back. I know my response in both cases is wrong, but sometimes I don't know how else to deal with it.

There are probably tons more of these I could come up with, but this is a good start for now. I've got my hands full just working on these.



WAR AND PEACE UPDATE:  I've completed 14% of this massive tome, and so far I'm still enjoying it. I even went five minutes over my intended time on the treadmill last night because I was so into it. Now that's saying something! I don't remember whether I set a specific date to finish the book, probably because finishing it at all is a big enough goal in itself. But I'll set one now, since it seems as though I'll actually get through it. December 31st -- simple as that. I can pace myself however I'd like, but as long as I'm done with it by the end of the year, I've accomplished my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment