Thursday, June 28, 2012

Words I Wish I Wrote: 25 Quotes About Babies


Yes, I am slightly singularly focused on this one topic lately – except for the Wombats post, that is – but it's understandable, don't you think?  Though this is our third pregnancy, we never got past a few weeks the first two times.  All off this is new and exciting for me and Mary both.  It's on my mind, and on my heart, and that's what I'm going to write about.  A lot.  That being said, I didn't write anything past this paragraph, but I like a lot of the sentiments expressed here.  Some of them just make me laugh.  Hope you'll enjoy them as well. ~ JH
1)  "A baby is born with a need to be loved – and never outgrows it."  ~  Frank Howard Clark


2)  "A baby is God's opinion that life should go on."  ~  Carl Sandburg


3)  "A man is not complete until he has seen the baby he has made."  ~  Sammy Davis, Jr.


4)  "Carrying a baby is the most rewarding experience a woman can enjoy."  ~  Jayne Mansfield


5)  "Having a baby dragged me, kicking and screaming, from the world of self-absorption."  ~  Paul Reiser


6)  "Having a baby is one of the most wonderful things in your life, as well as the hardest thing in your life."  ~  Nuno Bettencourt


7)  "Here we have a baby. It is composed of a bald head and a pair of lungs."  ~  Eugene Field


8)  "I couldn't wait to look at someone who shared my genes. I thought my baby was going to provide a decoder key to my past. But then I looked at [my child] and realized, no, [she's] actually the key to my future."  ~  Emily Procter


9)  "I knew it was going to be the most extraordinary thing in my life, but how powerful it is, you can never know until you have a baby."  ~  Celine Dion


10)  "If you desire to drain to the dregs the fullest cup of scorn and hatred that a fellow human being can pour out for you, let a young mother hear you call [her] dear baby 'it'..."  ~  T.S. Eliot


11)  "It is a pleasant thing to reflect upon, and furnishes a complete answer to those who contend for the gradual degeneration of the human species, that every baby born into the world is a finer one than the last."  ~  Charles Dickens


12)  "It's extraordinary to look into a baby's face and see a piece of your flesh and your spirit. It makes you realize you are a part of the human race."  ~  Liam Neeson


13)  "Loving a baby is a circular business, a kind of feedback loop. The more you give the more you get, and the more you get the more you feel like giving."  ~  Penelope Leach


14)  "My friend has a baby. I'm recording all the noises he makes so later I can ask him what he meant."  ~  Steven Wright


15)  "Parenthood always comes as a shock. Postpartum blues? Postpartum panic is more like. We set out to have a baby; what we get is a total take-over of our lives."  ~  Polly Berrien Berends


16)  "Make no mistake about why these babies are here – they are here to replace us."  ~  Jerry Seinfeld


17)  "Most of us would do more for our babies than we have ever been willing to do for anyone, even ourselves."  ~  Polly Berrien Berends


18)  "They're not the sharpest people – babies. So you must be everything to them."  ~  Paul Reiser
19)  "Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach...it [ticks] me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say, 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'"  ~  Steven Wright
20)  "Everyone knows that by far the happiest and universally enjoyable age of man is the first. What is there about babies which makes us hug and kiss and fondle them, so that even an enemy would give them help at that age?"  ~  Desiderius Erasmus
21)  "Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case."  ~  William Shatner
22)  "Father asked us what was God's noblest work. Anna said men, but I said babies. Men are often bad, but babies never are."  ~  Louisa May Alcott
23)  "Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit."  ~  Bill Cosby
24)  "It is the nature of babies to be in bliss."  ~  Deepak Chopra
25)  "No one likes change but babies in diapers."  ~  Barbara Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment