1) Why Do I Feel Like I've Been Here Before...Somewhere Else? Even more than some of the previous states I've done of these, Illinois seems to have a high number of place names taken from other places around the country and even around the globe.
2) I'm In The Mood For Love: Cupid must live in Illinois, based on all the love-related places that are located there. If we had to pinpoint exactly where all those love arrows originate, I'd bet it's in one of these towns, villages, or cities.
Licking (Ugh, T.M.I.!)
and my two favorites...
3) That Sounds Familiar, Too: Several other Illinois place names sound very familiar as well, but aren't necessarily associated with cities, states, or countries located elsewhere. See if these ring a bell for you, too.
4) Native American Place Names: These are always among my favorite entries, not because I enjoy picking on Native Americans. On the contrary, I enjoy discovering new Native American words -- I think they sound beautifully lyrical. Here are some of Illinois' finest.
and of course...
5) Just Plain Weird Place Names: This is the portion of our show where I list a bunch of non-themed place names with oddball names and add my appropriately (or sometimes inappropriately) snarky comments. Prepare to groan...frequently!
Prophetstown (you wanna go where
everybody knows your future)
Sandwich (you're making me hungry)
Cornland (okay, seriously!
now I want some corn!)
Goofy Ridge (I'd be right at home there)
Grand Detour (this is a thinly veiled
euphemism for "we are SO lost")
Lost Nation (yes it is, sadly...)
Aroma (I can smell it from here!)
Bible Grove (money doesn't grow on
trees, but apparently Bibles do)
Money Creek (oh, okay, it grows in creeks)
Bonus (formerly known as Extra Credit)
Chili (just down the road
from Ketchup and Mustard)
Dement (come here, go crazy!)
Downers Grove (what a bummer!)
Drummer (what a drummer!)
Embarrass (a shameful place to live)
Equality (I can dig it)
Fidelity (always an admirable virtue)
Harmony (wouldn't that be nice?)
Liberty (count me in!)
Justice (the blinder the better!)
Funk's Grove (they grow
funk music here? way cool!)
Hurlbut (formerly known as Tossbackside)
Looking Glass (should you visit? go ask Alice)
Normal (I wouldn't recognize it if I saw it)
Omphghent (I'm sorry, what?)
Half Day (I'd rather have a whole day)
Flossmoor (I know, I know -- my
dentist tells me that every time I go!)
Santa Claus (I thought he lived a bit father north)
Paw Paw (Maw Maw feels left out)
Shabbona (m-m-m-my Shabbona!)
South Muddy (that's icky!)
North Hurricane (that's windy!)
Sublette (it's better than breaking your lease)
Talkington (formerly known as Chattertown)
Wysox (a better question is, Wyshoes?)
Waldo (I FOUND HIM!!!)