Saturday, December 29, 2012

10 Things I Haven't Blogged About This Year (...Until Now)

So here I am, 3 days away from the end of 2012, and I still haven't missed a single day posting something. In reflecting on the the multiplicity of things I've blogged about over the course of this year, I am reminded once again that I am the author of what is quite possibly the most unfocused blog ever! Any subject is apt to be covered at any time, with or without reason. I will write about practically anything! Which got me thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know)...what haven't I written about so far this year? So I started thinking of as many random things and people as I could that I didn't think I'd covered here. In some cases, I found that at some point -- if even in passing -- I had mentioned them, and so those had to be excluded. What follows is a list of 10 things (or people) that I haven't mentioned at all this entire year...until now. Enjoy?



1)  The Empire State Building:  It's one of the most famous buildings in the entire world. It is, in fact, the 3rd tallest skyscraper in the United States and the 22nd tallest in the world. The building has figured prominently in film classics such as King Kong and Love Affair (which was later remade as An Affair To Remember and Sleepless In Seattle), among many others. And I haven't mentioned it not one time...until now.




2)  Twinkies:  These famous snack cakes have made all kinds of news this year, due to the fact that their manufacturer, Hostess Brands, is going bankrupt, putting the future of Twinkies in jeopardy. But have I even mentioned Twinkies in passing before today? No, not at all. Sad!




3)  Alan Rickman:  He's a highly regarded character actor, and one of the all-time greats. Rickman has starred in some of my favorite modern-day movies, including Sense And Sensibility, Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, and the Harry Potter film series. And I haven't posted a single thing about him...until now. I haven't even quoted him, and he's an eminently quotable guy. Take this Rickman quote, for example: "If only life could be a little more tender and art a little more robust." Or this one: "I think there's some connection between absolute discipline and absolute freedom." Boy, did I drop the ball on this one, or what?




4)  Doilies:  Whether crocheted or knitted, circular or oval, square or rectangular, these classic ornamental mats are indeed a sight to behold. And I have gone 364 days without even hinting at talking about doilies. What's wrong with me?




5)  Spandex:  This one is inexcusable! I write about clothes for a living (my real job). Hardly a day goes by that I don't write about some article of clothing which is made -- at least in part -- from spandex (or its alter-ego, "elastane"). And yet, I've gone almost an entire year without mentioning it here on my blog. What was I thinking?




6)  Motor Oil:  I know I'm no auto enthusiast, not by any stretch of the imagination. But is there really any good reason for me to go all year without at least acknowledging the existence of motor oil? Seriously!




7)  Icicles:  We haven't had much winter weather to speak of where I live so far this year (and that isn't likely to change in the next two days), so maybe -- just maybe -- I have an excuse for neglecting to mention icicles. But let's face it: I nearly dropped the ball here, and I will try not to do so again in the future.




8)  Dolly Parton:  A wildly successful singer, songwriter, actress, and author, Dolly Parton is a living legend. Parton has composed over 3,000 songs in her distinguished career (mostly country music), including classics like "I Will Always Love You" (Whitney made it timeless, but Dolly wrote it!), "Jolene," "9 To 5", and many, many more. She's played memorable parts in numerous movies, including the modern classic Steel Magnolias. And I almost forgot to mention her at all this year. I didn't even quote here once -- and she's highly quotable! Why, I could've done a whole post on her aphorisms alone. Take these five, for example:
*  "If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
*  "If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one."
*  "We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
*  "You'll never do a whole lot unless you're brave enough to try."
*  "Storms make trees take deeper roots."




9)  Octopuses (or Octopi, or Octopodes):  These weird and wonderful cephalopods are said to be "the most intelligent and behaviorally flexible of all invertebrates." They are also potentially the most comforting animal known to man -- after all, they have 8 arms with which to hold you. Not to mention that some people (myself excluded) think they make a tasty dinner. And I almost passed over them entirely this whole year! What in the world?




10)  Capers:  The edible flower buds and berries of the caper bush, both commonly referred to as capers, are often used for seasoning in fancy-pants restaurant foods. The berries are often pickled and sometimes served as a side dish or garnish on their own. I have tried capers and found them to be quite salty, but also quite delicious. So why, then, would I go nearly an entire year and not mention a food which I find to be quite salty, but also quite delicious? Your guess is as good as mine. But at least I'm mentioning them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment