Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Literal Interpretation Of Dr. Dre's "Nuthin' But A G Thang"


Like the previous two installments of this newfangled notion of mine, this is a word-for-word, line-by-line translation – or reinterpretation – of this song's lyrics. I have taken out all the slang, all the profanity, and all the contractions, so all that's left is what the artist is actually talking about in the song...I think. Of course, this is all done tongue-in-cheek, so I hope you'll find it as entertaining to read as it was to recreate. For a side-by-side comparison of the original song lyrics, click here. WARNING: The original lyrics are quite explicit. The lyrics below are not. Enjoy?  ~  JH


"Nuthin' But A "G" Thang"
as performed by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg


[Snoop Doggy Dogg]
One, two, three, and then comes four.
Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre are on your doorstep.
We are ready to make an entrance
So please get out of our way.
(As you recall, we nearly had to destroy things recently.)
First, hand me the microphone
In order that I may pop like a soap bubble.
Compton and Long Beach are in cahoots.
Of course you know, this means trouble for you.
It is nothing more than a gangster thing, newborn child!
Two armed gangsters who have lost their minds.
Death Row is the record label that signs my paychecks.
We are unable to fade
So please do not attempt to fade us.
(Oh, yes!)
But, yes, back to the lecture at hand.
We have perfected perfection
Therefore I will allow them to understand
From the perspective of a young gangster.
And before I excavate a female dog
I must locate a personal protection device.
It is impossible to know whether or not
The person in question is working for her friend
Or whether she is teaching him something
Or whether she is setting him on fire.
As you know, I am not interested
In anything like that, high-ranking officer.
No feline deserves to be burned alive
While I am scratching it under the chin.
(Yes.)
This is a statement that is truer
Than Evander Holyfield himself.
All of you who sell yourselves 
For money or pleasure
Will understand how I feel about this.
If it – whatever "it" is – is good enough
To bankrupt me, upon my taking 
A decent-sized piece of it
Then I will simply take for myself 
A small amount, no matter how admirable it may be.


[Hook: Snoop Doggy Dogg]
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also…
Dr. Dre, approach the microphone stealthily
In a ghostlike manner.


[Dr. Dre]
Well, I am looking, and I am approaching stealthily
And I am being an annoying person.
But I was nearly noticed when my beeper started beeping.
Now is the time for me to make a good impression.
So sit back, relax, and secure your seatbelt.
You have never taken an automobile ride
Like this one previously.
I am a producer who raps well
And I am in control of the conductor.
While simultaneously I make rap music
That is quite excellent.
As you and I are both aware
I rap in a traditional yet wonderful way.
In addition, the song which I am now rapping
Is symbolic of drugs.
Sample the drug I am offering, but please do not choke on it.
If you do, then it is obvious that you are clueless
Of what my associate Snoop Dogg and I
Are attempting to do here.



[Hook: Snoop Doggy Dogg & Dr. Dre]
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also…
Now relax for a bit, until the next episode is set to air...


[Snoop Doggy Dogg]
I am slipping down and falling on my buttocks.
But I do so in such a manner 
That gangsters would be proud of me.
My rap skills can be likened 
To a rotting vat of collard greens.
My name is spelled like this: Capital S, that is right.
I am awesome. Then comes N, two O's, and a P.
The next part of my name is spelled like this:
D – O – G – G – Y – 
Then D – O – G – G – do you understand?
I flex my vocal muscles mightily 
Whenever the time is right to ruin a microphone.
I participate in human trafficking, and I wield weapons
As though my name were Dolomite.
Yes, and it never ceases.
I think the listeners are in the mood to hear
Some mindless talk about being a gangster.
So, Dre –  
(What is going on, Dogg?)
They want something, and we must deliver it. 
(What is that, Gangster?)
We have to tear off a piece of something.
(Oh, yes!)
And it must be quite loud.
(City of Compton!)


[Dr. Dre]
That is where this takes place, so I ask you to pay attention.
I am traveling rapidly like someone who commits incest
With his mother. But I am not hanging people.
My skillful rapping
Makes insecure African-Americans uncomfortable.
When I rap, my adversaries crumble like crispy cookies.
If you attempt to approach me, I will spank you.
My esteemed associate Doggy Dogg supports me on this.
I must never slip. Because if I do slip, then I will be slipping.
But as long as I have my 9mm pistol
You know I am being ridiculous.
I will continue to rap, and I will continue to be smooth.
If your female companions talk bad about me
I will have to physically assault them.
Yes, and you never cease.
As I mentioned, I am much like a clock
In that I tick and I also tock.
But I am never switched off. I am always on.
Until dawn breaks over C – O – M – P – T – O – N
And the city called Long Beach.
We are constructing things.
Like my African-American associate D.O.C. said
No one is able to do what I do any better than I do it.


[Hook: Dr. Dre & Snoop Doggy Dogg]
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this and it is like that and it is like this and also...
It is like this – we do not love those people.
Now relax for a bit, until the next episode is set to air...

No comments:

Post a Comment