Saturday, March 31, 2012

Per Your Suggestion #4: "Why Asleep Is Better Than Awake"

Okay, I'm still tired from last night's first Easter drama performance (which went well) and my level of  creativity is at a minimum, so I'm going to keep this short. Today's post was suggested by my cousin, Rhesa Kelly. She gave me the writing prompt "why sleep is better than awake." I couldn't think of a story to accompany this theme, so I'm making this one a list post. Hope you enjoy it...


1)  When you're sleeping, you can't worry about the problems of life.  Of course, they're still there when you wake up, but for a few hours at least, they disappear entirely. Unless you're one of those people, like me, who occasionally dreams about their problems, in which case this point is completely negated.

2)  When you have a nightmare, you can wake up, and it's over.  Whereas when you're awake and something horrible happens, you can't just pinch yourself and make it disappear. Many people, myself included, try this, but it never works. When life is tough, it just is. You can't just change the channel. True, things can get better depending on your response to circumstances. But bad stuff still happens -- that's just the way it is.

3)  Some dreams are awesome, while others are really strange -- but very few are boring.  Case in point: Last night I dreamed that my wife and I were vacationing in Jamaica, staying in a swanky apartment. We were considering moving there, if everything went well on our visit. As it turns out, the apartment was as nice as advertised, but had been broken into shortly before we arrived, so we knew security in the area wasn't that great. We decided to take a walk around the surrounding area, when we were suddenly pursued by a very bad man in a very fast boat. I was conked over the head and knocked out, while my wife hid under a bed nearby. When I came to, I realized that a friend of ours -- who had unexpectedly shown up while we were being pursued -- had been kidnapped by the very bad man in the very fast boat. We made our way back to the restaurant near our swanky apartment. There we met my boss, who warned me that if I didn't return to my job in the States within the next day that I would be promptly fired. Then I woke up. Not altogether pleasant, but definitely interesting.

4)  After a good night's sleep, you feel much better.  After a long day of being awake, especially if you've spent that day doing something particularly stressful or highly physical, you tend to feel much worse.

5)  If you're an insomniac, when you finally fall asleep, it's a wonderful relief.  If you're not a morning person, when you are forced to wake up, it's a pain in the butt! I am both an insomniac and a not-a-morning-person, and the time spent after trying to get sleepy and before trying to wake up is the best part. The "trying" parts, not so great.


Okay, that's all I've got. Feel free to comment with your own reasons for why asleep is superior to awake. Or if you disagree, feel free to share your reasons why you think so as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment