Thursday, August 9, 2012

Words I Wish I Wrote: The Wit, Wisdom, And Weirdness Of Yogi Berra


Yogi Berra


Besides having an oddball name (though his real first name is Lawrence), former Major League Baseball catcher Yogi Berra has a, shall we say, unique way of looking at the world. Berra is probably the most quotable character that the game of baseball (and probably any sport) has ever known.

You might have heard all of these quotes before. Maybe only some of them. Perhaps none of them. (Where have you been?) Whatever your experience or exposure to the twisted imaginings of Mr. Berra, I'm sure you'll find something to laugh at here. If not, you may want to check your pulse.


"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."



"Baseball is ninety percent mental,
and the other half is physical."



"Always go to other people's funerals,
otherwise they won't come to yours."


"I just want to thank everyone
who made this day necessary."



"I'm not going to buy my kids
an encyclopedia. Let them
walk to school like I did."


"If the world was perfect,
it wouldn't be."



"If you come to a fork
in the road, take it."


"If you don't know where you're going,
you might end up someplace else."




"In theory, there is no difference between
theory and practice. In practice, there is."


"The future ain't what it used to be."


"So I'm ugly. So what? I never
saw anyone hit with his face."



"Nobody goes there anymore.
It's too crowded."



"It's like déja vu, all over again."



"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."



"You can observe a lot by just watching."


"I never said most of the things I said."

No comments:

Post a Comment